Louisiana State University
AFRL ML-RCP Partner Institution Strengths & Capabilities
Name: Darya Courville
Title: Executive Director, Office of Sponsored Programs
Institution: Louisiana State University and A&M College
1. Please select the research areas in which your institution currently engages:
a. Structural materials X George Voyiadjis, firstname.lastname@example.org
b. Support for operations
c. Radio frequency sensing X Shuangqing Wei, email@example.com
d. Spectrum warfare X Shuangqing Wei, firstname.lastname@example.org
e. High speed systems
f. Rocket propulsion X Shyam Menon, email@example.com
g. Aerospace vehicles
h. Bio effects X Stephania Cormier, firstname.lastname@example.org
i. Functional materials & applications X Philip Sprunger, email@example.com,
John Pojman, firstname.lastname@example.org
j. Manufacturing technology X Dimitris Nikitopoulos, email@example.com
k. Electro-optical sensing X Theda Daniels-Race, firstname.lastname@example.org
l. Layered sending exploitation & enabling sensor devices/components X Kevin McPeak, email@example.com
m. Control, power, & thermal management systems
n. Turbine engines X Shengmin Guo, firstname.lastname@example.org, Michael Khonsari, email@example.com
o. Human centered intelligence surveillance & reconnaissance X Supratik Mukhopadhyay, firstname.lastname@example.org
p. Training & decision making
2. Of these areas of research, please provide a faculty contact for each area. See above
3. Please note, in detail, any research areas of strength not listed above. This may include fundamental sciences (e.g. math, physics, biology, etc.). Please provide a faculty contact for each area.
Quantum information science (Omar Magana-Loaiza, email@example.com)
Quantum Materials and superconductivity (Ilya Vekhter, firstname.lastname@example.org) Chemical transformations (Noémie Elgrishi, email@example.com)
Polymer science and soft materials (Donghui Zhang, firstname.lastname@example.org)
Colloidal science (Bhuvnesh Bharti, email@example.com)
Atomic and optical physics (Mette Gaarde, firstname.lastname@example.org)
Medical Physics (Wayne Newhauser, email@example.com)
Biosciences (Stephania Cormier, firstname.lastname@example.org)
Cybersecurity (Golden Richard, email@example.com)
Human Motion and Performance (Arendt Van Gemmert, firstname.lastname@example.org)
4. Are there any emerging areas of research your institution is actively seeking to develop? If available, please provide a faculty contact for each area.
Energy Innovation and Carbon Management (Clare Falcon, email@example.com; William Shelton, firstname.lastname@example.org)
Coastal Science, Engineering, and Design (Julie Lively, email@example.com)
Data Science: Accelerating Discovery through Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, and Computational (Hartmut Kaiser, firstname.lastname@example.org)
Biotechnology (Supratik Mukhopadhyay, email@example.com)
Biomedical (K. Gus Kousoulas, firstname.lastname@example.org)
5. Does your institution have any internal research centers or participate in any research consortia? If so, please describe briefly and if possible include the URL.
There are 14 centers and institutes that report directly to the VP for Research & Economic Development, as well as numerous centers across the many campuses of the university. https://lsu.edu/research/about/centers.php. Click on each center for descriptions and contacts.
6. Please provide a list of relevant facilities and equipment.
Please see spreadsheet below. It is a work-in-progress document.
7. Does your institution have a relationship with any other academic institution or research organization(s) that enables your access to their facilities and equipment?
a. Fermi Research Alliance (Fermi National Accelerator Lab-Fermilab): on-site access to conduct experiments
b. Los Alamos National Laboratory: Engineering the Optoelectronic Properties of Low-Dimensional ABO3 Perovskites for Enhanced Energy Storage
8. Has your institution collaborated with Department of Defense in the past? Yes
9. Is your institution involved in any federal STEM funding efforts? Yes
10. This program requires documentation (i.e. theses, dissertation, presentations, etc.) to go through the AFRL public affairs review process. Would this present a challenge for your institution? Yes
11. Carnegie Classification - Research Active/Very High
Research Administration and Compliance
12. Does your institution have an office of sponsored programs?
13. Does your institution have an approval process for seeking extramural funding?
14. Does your institution accept federal award dollars and manage standard fiscal reporting, and compliance requirements?
15. Does your institution provide guidance to PIs for budget development?
16. Does your institution offer proposal development services?
17. Does your institution offer research development services, e.g., assistance with finding research funding, proposal management, team formation/development, etc?
18. Does you institution offer research compliance training and education, i.e., roles and responsibilities of principal investigators?
19. Does your institution have a designated Export Control Officer?
20. Is your institution registered with the US State Department Directorate of Defense Trade Controls?
21. Does your institution currently perform Controlled Unclassified Information (CUI/ NIST 800-171 compliant) research?
22. Does your institution currently perform research subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations?
23. Does your institution have a DoD Facility Security Clearance (FCL)?
If you are on NIPR, below is a direct link to the Research Capabilities document.